According to the Taking Your Fiscal Pulse 2012 snapshot survey, 90% of surveyed theatres believe their situation is holding steady or on the upswing. Released by Theatre Communications Group (TCG) and conducted in collaboration with the Association of Performing Arts Service Organizations (APASO), the Taking Your Fiscal Pulse survey captures the most recent state of affairs for 206 participating theatres. The report conveys actual and projected activity for theatres’ fiscal year ending anytime in 2012.
Additionally, TCG published “Get Smart, Hold Tight”, a narrative version of Theatre Facts 2011 in the November 2012 issue of American Theatre magazine. Written by Sarah Hart, the article includes case studies and anecdotes from prominent managing leaders to provide context for TCG’s annual in-depth report. Theatre Facts 2011 is based on the TCG Fiscal Survey, compiling data from theatres’ fiscal year ending between October 31, 2010 and September 30, 2011. First published in 1980, the annual Theatre Facts report examines unrestricted income and expenses, balance sheets, attendance, pricing and performance details.
Taking Your Fiscal Pulse 2012 supports many of the positive trends towards recovery featured in “Get Smart, Hold Tight” and Theatre Facts 2011. Some highlights from the Taking Your Fiscal Pulse 2012 report include:
- 69% of theatres broke even or ended the year with a surplus.
- 73% reported similar to or higher than expected overall paid attendance.
- 72% reported overall ticket income equal to or greater than budget.
- 57% – 77% reported contributions similar to or higher than expected from all sources—government, foundation, corporate, trustee and other individuals.
- 70% reported operations expenses to be on or below budget.
- 40% reported having cash flow problems this year.
- 90% believe their situation is holding steady or on the upswing.
- The most pressing concerns or priorities were individual giving/donor cultivation, audience development, board development, corporate giving and foundation giving.
“We’re pleased to see that the findings from Taking Your Fiscal Pulse 2012 reinforce the glimmers of recovery we found in Theatre Facts 2011,” said Teresa Eyring, executive director of TCG. “As outlined in Sarah Hart’s insightful article, ‘Get Smart, Hold Tight’, theatres are effectively diversifying their earned and contributed income streams, leading to greater organizational resilience.”
To download the report, visit www.tcg.org/tools/other/snapshot.cfm.
To read “Get Smart, Hold Tight”, visit http://www.tcg.org/publications/at/issue/featuredstory.cfm?story=3.
Taking Your Fiscal Pulse 2012 was written by TCG’s Christopher Shuff, director of management programs, and Ilana B. Rose, management programs research manager. “Get Smart, Hold Tight” was written by Sarah Hart, and appeared in the November 2012 issue of American Theatre.